Darwin - The Growth of an Idea
2009 was the 200th anniversary of the birth of Charles Darwin and the 150th anniversary of the publication of "On the Origin of Species by Natural Selection." The Museum Open House was part of the celebrations of the Year of Science at Ohio State.
Highlights of the 2009 event:
- Theme: Voyages of Discovery
- Booklet "Voyages of Discovery" was released and distributed to schools
- Lecture by Dr. Cindy Lee Van Dover: "The Octopus's Garden - Tales of Discovery at Deep-Sea Hot Springs" - Tuesday, February 17th
Hands on activities included:
- Seedling planting
- Insect Zoo
- Bugs in Goo
- The Triplehorn Insect Collection introduced the "Bug Drawing Station" as a regular hands-on activity for all interested.
- In the Borror Lab display, visitors could listen to their voice and observe a voice print on a computer screen – kids love it!
Quick facts about the 2009 Museum Open House:
- Date: Saturday, February 7, 2009
- Hours: 10AM - 4PM
- Number of visitors: 1,096
- Number of volunteers: 103 (53 students)