The Division's 86,000+ catalogued lots of bivalves are accessible online by clicking the button below. After reaching the sign in page, choose the option "Open With Guest Account" and hit "OK" to view the database.
By clicking this link, you have accepted our Data Access Policy (see bottom of page).
- FileMaker Pro, the database software we use, can be difficult for beginners to query effectively. See this link for instructions on advanced searching methods such as extending and constraining found sets.
- An asterisk * can be used as a wildcard character to find entered in any field.
- The operators ">"(greater than), "<" (less than), ">=" (greater than or equal to), "<=" (less than or equal to) can be used to search numerical fields (e.g. searching ">0" in a field finds all records where the field value is greater than zero).
Some Important Notes on Database Conventions:
- The count of ethanol preserved specimens in a lot is recorded in the "preserved" field. To find if a lot has specimens in ethanol, search ">0" in that field and add additional queries by extending the found set.
- The "Separated" checkbox field indicates whether or not the fluid preserved specimens in a lot have their shells removed and stored in the dry collection.
- The collection data from the collecting events of 6500+ uncatalogued, unidentified mixed-lots of wet and dry mollusk specimens in the backlog are present in the database, and are indicated by a negative "-" catalog number. You can search for information about collections in the backlog by searching the "Catalog number" field for "-". These negative catalog numbers themselves are *NOT in any way* related to their positive counterparts, and are an unfortunate artifact of a prior database software. They should NOT be cited.
If you have trouble using the database, contact us at email@example.com for assistance.
The Division's gastropod collection database is not available online yet. However, a subset of the freshwater gastropod collection has been georeferenced and is available here:
Some information about and photos of OSUM gastropod type specimens are available here:
Please note that these sites are in the process of being updated as we transition to a more modern database.
Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for all inquiries about the gastropod collection.
Data Access Policy
The Ohio State University Museum of Biological Diversity, of the College of Biological Sciences, serves the interests of educators, scientific researchers, and the public from its archival collections. As part of a public institution, we strive to provide the best access we can to the immense holdings of our scientific collections. We will make our data available insofar as possible within the abilities of our staff, equipment, and facilities. We aspire to supply all reasonable inquiries with the information requested. Access to data does not imply access to the material items themselves. What follows is a policy guideline regarding how we provide access to our collections and the information contained in the collections.
We uphold the same Data Use Agreements as recommended by the Global Biodiversity Information Facility (see www.gbif.org/DataProviders/Agreements/DUA/):
- The quality and completeness of the data cannot be guaranteed. Users employ these data at their own risk.
- Users shall respect restrictions of access to, or use of, sensitive data.
- In order to make attribution of use for owners of the data possible, the identifier of ownership of data must be retained with every data record.
- Users must publicly acknowledge, in conjunction with the use of the data, the data providers whose biodiversity data they have used. Data providers may require additional attribution of specific collections within their institution.
- Users must comply with additional terms and conditions of use set by the data provider. Where these exist they will be available through the metadata associated with the data.
We reserve the right to refuse unreasonable requests, and protect information that is sensitive in the following regards:
- Requests that require an unreasonable amount of time or effort to process cannot be honored. Examples of such requests would be those that require opening dozens of cabinets, or those that require searching databases separately or repeatedly and compiling a novel list of data.
- Requests that are not specific, such that the Faculty and Staff of the Museum do not easily understand the limits of the request, will be subject to clarification and restriction, or they will not be honored.
- Requests will be denied if they concern a summary of current, unfinished, research content intended for public dissemination and publication in the future. Notebooks, whether physical or electronic, are not valid subjects for requests unless expressly advertised as such by staff.
- Information that is sensitive and ordinarily protected by a community of peers (such as the precise localities of remaining populations of endangered species) may be denied if the request is seen to be in conflict with the purpose of the confidentiality.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS FOR USE OF ONLINE DATABASES
Except as otherwise expressly stated herein, material from the Databases may not be reproduced, distributed, publicly displayed or otherwise used , in whole or in part, without the express written permission of the Ohio State University. Subsets of the records in one or more of the Databases may be used, downloaded, reproduced, publicly displayed, distributed or reprinted by persons affiliated with academic and/or non-profit organizations for scientific and scholarly purposes only, provided however, that the following attribution appears in all copies: "Courtesy of the Division of Mollusks, The Ohio State University Museum of Biological Diversity, [day-month-year]". Nevertheless, the Ohio State University does not grant permission for anyone to use, download, reproduce, publicly display, distribute or reprint all or substantially all of the records in one or more of the Databases.
USE OF THESE DATABASES IS ENTIRELY AT YOUR OWN RISK. THE OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY MAKES NO WARRANTY, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, REGARDING THE COMPLETENESS, ACCURACY OR CURRENCY OF THE INFORMATION IN THE DATABASES NOR ITS SUITABILITY FOR ANY PARTICULAR PURPOSE. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" FOR YOUR INFORMATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY AND THE OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR THE CONSEQUENCES OF RELIANCE ON ANY INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THE DATABASES, AND THE RISK OF INJURY RESTS ENTIRELY WITH YOU.
Distributional, ecological, taxonomic, and other such data should be verified by examination of the specimen(s) in consultation with the curatorial staff.
By accessing the information in the Databases, you agree that The Ohio State University shall not be liable to you for any loss or injury caused in using, procuring, compiling, or delivering the information. In no event will The Ohio State University or the contributors of information to the Databases be liable to you or anyone else for any action taken in reliance on such information or for any consequential, special or similar damages.